web statistics

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Workbench on wheels






Putting wheels under a shop bench is a good way to keep your shop flexible. By using wheels that can be retracted, you can lower the legs to the floor to ensure stability for heavy work.

There’s always more demand for space than there is space in my shop. By rolling benches and tools this way and that I can maximize the floor area where work space is needed.

This bench is a take-off from a design I saw in a magazine and also some others I saw on the Internet. This is not exactly like any of them, but I don’t call it my own design either.

The top photo shows the simple but very sturdy construction, and the 2X4 to which the wheels are attached. This piece is held in place by the short, hinged 2X4 braces on either side. The lower photo shows a detail of that with the table turned upside down.

Since I put the table to work carrying heavy tools I learned that putting the wheels down and retracting them is not an easy skate. In fact, with no helper, I had to use a scissor-jack. Likely I’ll add drawers before I call it finished.

No comments: