web statistics

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Rolling floor drawers


Any old drawer can become a sweet new rolling floor drawer if you install wooden toy wheels. The top photo shows one of one of my floor drawers that fits nicely under a low (8” high) shop bench.

The 2” wheels are from a hobby store and cost about $3 for eight. They are attached to the drawer with 1/4” X 1 1/4” hex-head screws. I put a flat washer between the wheel and the drawer, though it probably isn’t necessary, considering how infrequent will be their trips and how short will be their travel.


The second photo shows the bottom and front panel of the drawer. Note how I cut off the bottom lip of the drawer’s front panel, making it even with the sides so it wouldn’t drag on the floor. I used an angle grinder with a sanding disk for this.

You may want to further develop this system by making tracks on the floors or building spacers to keep the drawers running straight and true. As it seems to me now, I don’t think it’s necessary.

No comments: