web statistics

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Heartburn? Cure it with an apple

I am a heartburn warrior/veteran/victor. I’m in that woebegone class of folks whose heartburn loves to visit nearly every night. 

Certain nights I avoid it if I am very careful about not eating this or that and never eating past 7 p.m. If you’re so cursed, you know the routine.

But - aha! By accident I discovered that eating an apple before bedtime has an amazing effect. Pectin, Rosalie says, is the reason.

Whatever, I peeled and sliced an apple, put light olive oil in a pan, then covered and cooked it until very tender. Meanwhile I added a dash of brown sugar and a small glop of honey.

Pectin is my love. No frickin’ heartburn. Night after night.

But then I got frisky. Please bake me an apple pie, I said to wife. That way I won’t have to fool around with the peeling and stuff every night.

She makes the best apple pies ever, but I learned that they do indeed live on through the night. Pectin apparently gets clobbered by dough and sugar and spices.

So remember, pectin - yes; pie - no.

No comments: