web statistics

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Rope ladder



A rope ladder will take you to new heights cheaply and efficiently. I made my first one as a fire escape for one of our kids’ bedrooms. Tied to two large screw-eyes which were fastened to studs under the window, it stored out of sight behind a chest.

The one in the photo leads to the top of a partition over which I have to climb to reach the back of the washer and dryer. I have taped a piece of pipe insulator to the side of the step to prevent (more) gouges in the plaster wall. This also holds the step away from the wall, making it easier to get a good footing.

I expect to make another of these ladders to help me access the attic. I have for decades been dragging a high step ladder into the house and up the stairs when I need to get to the attic each year for maintenance on the attic fan. How sweet it will be to have a rope ladder attached to the rafters that will drop down when I open the access panel. Whoot.

Then maybe another one for access to lofts in my little barn and another for the workshop. When I make new rope ladders, likely they will have wider steps than the two-incher shown here. Stay tuned for updates.

No comments: